How to Choose the Right Sized Area Rug and Placement for your Space
Area rugs are an essential part of your home décor. The perfect area rug is a design feature that adds character and style to your space. Depending on your interior design style and the colors and textures of your room, the right area rug is one that enhances the space by tying the individual elements together into a cohesive whole. Area rugs are available in many different colors, sizes, shapes, patterns, and textures. Although this infinite range of options gives you the chance to select the ideal area rug for your space, the number of choices can also make the process feel a bit overwhelming.
There are several important factors to consider as you choose the perfect area rug for your space and place it in a way that enhances your décor. The shape and size of an area rug can impact the whole ambiance of a room. Choosing a rug that is the correct size and in the right shape for the space will impact the whole look of your room. In this article, we have gathered a few tips on how you can search online and find the perfect area rug for your needs.
The following tips and tricks highlight 3 key elements to keep in mind when selecting an area rug for your space—the layout of your furniture; the area rug placement; and what size would be ideal for your space.
Choose the Right Rug Size
Large area rugs can make a room more welcoming and appealing—and add color and dimension to the space. A properly-sized area rug can make a small room feel larger. The size of an area rug can also dramatically impact a room's overall feel. If a rug is too small for a space, the room can feel cold and uninviting. On the other hand, a rug that is too large can actually make the room feel smaller. The right size area rug will bring warmth and balance to the room—the perfect finishing touch.
In order for the area rug to act as an anchor for all the other elements in the room, it should not “float” or be placed in an area without furniture touching it. The best way to determine the size and dimensions of the area rug you need, use masking tape on the floor around your current furniture placement. As you measure, keep in mind the following:
- The area rug should extend beyond your sofa on both sides by at least 6 inches (ideally 8 inches).
- The area rug should run the length of the sofa.
Living Room Area Rug Placement
Your living room is the focal point of your home. It’s where people gather, and it’s often the first thing guests see when they enter your home. For an attractive living room layout, an equal amount of exposed flooring around your rug will balance the room and act as a frame around the rug. We recommend that you leave 12 to 18 inches of exposed flooring around the rug if its edges are close to the walls of the room.
- Furniture legs not on the area rug: In a small living room, anchor your furniture using a smaller area rug in the center of the space. In order to create a feeling of openness, place your furniture around the rug instead of directly on top of it.
- Furniture front legs on the area rug: In a medium-sized living room, place the front legs of your furniture on the area rug. This works especially well when using an 8’ x 10’ or larger size area rug.
- Furniture legs completely on the area rug: In a large living room or open concept space, place all of the furniture legs on the rug. For large spaces, we recommend a 9’ x 12’ area rug or bigger, as required.
Bedroom Area Rug Placement
There’s nothing like getting out of bed in the morning and placing your feet on a soft, warm area rug. It’s the size of your bed and not the size of your room that determines which size area rug you should choose for your bedroom. There are four options for how to arrange an area rug under your bed:
- The entire bed is placed on the area rug.
- The bed, nightstands, and a bench at the foot of the bed all are placed on the area rug.
- The lower two-thirds of the bed and a bench at the foot of the bed are placed on the area rug, leaving the head of the bed and the nightstands off the area rug.
- The lower third of the bed and a bench at the foot of the bed are placed on the area rug, with most of the bed off the area rug.
Dining Room Area Rug Placement
The diverse selection of area rugs available and the wide variety of sizes and shapes can make it challenging to find what you need. The easiest way to purchase a new area rug is to shop for rugs online.
The Rug District is your one-stop destination to shop quality area rugs online. Through our extensive easy-to-navigate online catalogue, you will find a range of gorgeous area rugs suited for any room and matching any décor. From large area rugs for your living room and dining room, to smaller area rugs for your bedrooms and home office, our inventory of high-quality area rugs will be the perfect addition to your home. Our vast assortment of different sizes and shapes will make you want an area rug in every room of your home—even your outdoor spaces! Our inventory includes rugs of different sizes and shapes, as well as a beautiful range of colors and patterns. Check out our online collections today and find the perfect area rugs for your home.